Apply online for an Ally Invest Self-Directed Trading account, Robo Portfolio, or Personal Advice account.
Go to Self-Directed Trading and select Start Trading to go to the application. Enter your personal information and choose the account type and funding options you prefer. You’ll receive an email once we approve your application.
Go to Robo Portfolios and select Create My Plan to get a personalized portfolio recommendation. Once you have your customized plan, select Open an Account to apply. Enter your personal information and choose the account type and funding options you prefer. You’ll receive an email once we approve your application.
First, make sure you're an existing customer with at least $100,000 in investable assets (this includes things like cash, stocks, and retirement accounts). Then go to Personal Advice and select Schedule a Call.
We'll reach out to talk through your goals and, if it it’s a match, we'll set you up with an advisor. Your advisor will create a personalized financial plan for you to review. If everything looks good and you decide to move forward, your advisor will then open your account.
There are 4 ways to fund your account. You can transfer from a bank (ACH), request a wire transfer, transfer from another broker, or send us a check.
1. ACH Transfer You can link your bank account to your brokerage account for transfers. This is a good way to move funds in and out of your Ally Invest Securities account both initially and long term. Transfers from an Ally Bank account are usually available immediately for trading. When initially funding your account from a different bank or financial institution, transfers may not be the fastest method due to the time it takes to process your application and the 3-business-day clearing period on transfers.
Once your account is open, log in to select Transfers and then Linked Bank Accounts to get started.
2. Wire Transfer This is the fastest way to fund your account and begin trading. Once the funds have been deposited into your brokerage account, you can place your first trade. Depending on how quickly your bank initiates the wire, this method can take a few hours to one business day. Keep in mind, we don't accept third party wires.Use the following information to wire funds to us: Download the Wire Transfer Form
BMO Harris Bank 111W. Monroe St Chicago, Illinois 60603
● Credit Account #
● Credit Account name
Apex Clearing Corporation One Dallas Center 350 N. St Paul Suite 1300 Dallas, TX 75201
● Further Credit to account #
(Your Ally Invest Securities Account Number)
● Further Credit to
(Legal name of Ally Invest Securities Account)
3. Transfer from Another Broker You can now request an account transfer online. Once requested, it takes generally 5 - 7 business days for us to process the request.To sweeten the deal, we'll credit you $75 (to cover any possible account transfer fees) when you initiate an account transfer of $2,500 or more from another broker.
4. Check If you mail us a cashier's or bank check, you can trade as soon as we receive and verify the check with your bank.
● Instruct your bank to make the cashier's or bank check payable to Apex Clearing Corporation (our clearing firm).
● Make sure the bank prints your name as the REMITTER on the check.
● The Ally Invest Securities account name and registration must match the name of the bank account the check is drawn off of.
● If you mail us a personal check: Make all checks payable to Apex Clearing Corporation (our clearing firm).
● Personal checks take 3 business days to clear.
● We don't accept starter checks, money orders or credit card checks. If you're mailing a check to fund your IRA, specify the tax year for the contribution on the memo line of the check and submit with the IRA Contribution form (PDF). Also write on your check if this is a rollover contribution to an IRA.
When you set up your account, our questionnaire will guide you in selecting investments for your Robo Portfolio. We offer:
Personal Advice (For the investor seeking goal-focused guidance)
If Personal Advice is a good fit, after your initial consultation we'll pair you with a dedicated advisor who can help determine which of the following account types is right for you:
Beneficiary Roth IRA
Form CRS is a customer relationship summary document that the SEC requires broker-dealers and investment advisers, like us, to disclose to retail investors, like you, to enhance your investor protection. The disclosure document is intended to help you understand your relationship to and compare your choices among investment advisers and broker-dealers. In it you’ll find concise, relevant information regarding our fees, conflicts, and services provided.
Most foreign citizens with a valid Social Security number who legally reside in the United States full-time may open an Ally Invest account.
All customers, including United States citizens, must be living in the United States to open an Ally Invest account, though we may make exceptions for active military personnel stationed abroad.
We don’t offer a demo account, but you may open a self-directed account to test all the features and tools that are available, with the exception of placing trades. We don’t charge any fees for this access, and there is no minimum balance to maintain for cash and retirement accounts.